Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Cow is Equinephobic!!!!

Good Morning!  Well, we're still dry and dusty here.  I really don't remember the last time it rained.  Our general area is 9 inches below normal for the year.  While we are keeping everything alive, a good rain would make all of the difference.  At this rate what little pasture we do have will soon become dry lot.

The horse is home.  And making life interesting.  I had a feed/clean schedule that worked really well.  But that has all changed.  Maggie, my Jersey cow, is absolutely terrified of the horse.  At first she was ok, but then the horse decided to get friendly.  Maggie really didn't want to be friends with something so much larger than she, so she politely started to slowly move in the opposite direction.  The horse followed.  Maggie picked up speed.  So did the horse.  Maggie began a slow trot.  So did the horse.  Maggie moved into a fast trot.  The horse was thrilled to have someone to play with and also increased its speed, cutting across the pasture in order to get to Maggie.  Maggie then moved to a full gallop.  For those of you, who like me, have never seen an eight-months pregnant cow gallop, it is quite a sight.  As she came around the edge of the pasture, she reminded me of all of those illustrations of the nursery rhyme "Hey Diddle Diddle" where the cow is stretched out jumping over the moon.  I opened the gate to the goat pen and in she went, breathing hard.  Now you can only get her out if the horse is tied up at the other end of the pasture, eating.  I've done research on the net and can only find what to do if your horse is afraid of the cow, not the other way around.  I hope they sort it all out soon.  My goat pen is not made to hold a 900 lb. cow and especially not a cow/calf.

I was also able to pick up almost 80 Californian and New Zealand rabbits this past weekend to help get us started in the rabbit meat business.  We've had our license for processing for two years, but have yet to get it going.  The purchase included several litters that are ready for slaughter as well as several new litters.  I'm still trying to sort them all out.  I will be keeping some to use as breeders and selling some live.  Hopefully, I'll have them up on the website for sale this weekend.

Well, the work is calling and getting behind first thing in the morning is not a good idea.

May Yahweh bless you in this new day!

Laurie

No comments: